A Brief Introduction to Chess Puzzles

Hi. I’m David Nacin, a mathematician with a love for puzzles and games. My puzzles have been published in places such as the College Math Journal, Math Horizons and the MAA Focus, but I’d like to start posting some of them here. I make a wide variety of puzzles over both well and lesser known number systems. Here, I’d like to start of with a type of chess puzzle I invented.

Attached are two PDFs showing the ways in which various chess pieces move and capture. These pieces are from different chess games, including the Japanese Dai shogi (~1230AD) and the Persian Tamerlane Chess (~1400AD).



Move Guide 1 High Quality PDF
Move Guide 2 High Quality PDF

I tend to divide puzzles into starter, easy, medium and difficult categories. The starter puzzles contain basically no strategy and have only one obvious choice at each step, but they exist to ensure the reader understands the rules of the puzzle. The clues in these chess puzzles describe how the piece each square interacts with other pieces of the same type. Instructions can be found on each puzzle itself.

PDF - 3 by 3 Starter Puzzle



PDF - 5 by 5 Easy Puzzle



Comments

Popular Posts